Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Language as a tool of communication

Many people feel communication is a simple process but I do not think so. It is quite a complicated process, which needs a lot of efforts from the parties who are participating. I started deeply thinking about communication, when I took up a job as a trainer in communication department in one of the management colleges. I had a lot of difficulty to deal with many students as they were not exposed to English, the language needed for communication. They had a lot of mother tongue influence in their Spoken English. Many of the students had innovative thinking, creativity as well as analytical skills but they could not present that because they lacked the power to communicate in English.

When I faced this issue, I started thinking why language is so important in our lives. I believed that language is one of the things that makes us different from all the animals present in this world. Language is a medium through which you can express complicated emotions in this human world. All that is fine! But what about those who cannot express in a particular language like for instance English. The person needs to put in lot of efforts to understand the nuances of the language he or she is trying to learn. it can be done only through continuous practice.

Non-verbal communication in form of eye contact, gestures, posture, hand and leg movements does help in communication but it has some limitations. To express some difficult things; one needs the help of language as words assist you in all situations and place. Communication does play an important role in our professional as well as personal relations. Effective communication is needed to succeed in today's competitive world. Just mere emotions are not enough, you need to express these feelings through words to your loved ones, friends and family. 

Verbal communication plays a vital role in building strong relation between spouses, parents and children, friends  and so on. In your professional life too, you need to communicate with your colleagues, clients, etc. You can create a place for yourself only if you express valid and logical points needed in a given situation in your personal as well as work life.

Being confident is important to communicate in any language. Make sure that you practice well so that you will not face any barriers while communicating with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment