Wednesday, 22 May 2013

Reading

People in this world have numerous hobbies like watching movies, listening to music, collecting stamps, gardening,  playing and watching cricket, reading, cooking and so on. These hobbies help us to spend our leisure time constructively and give us happiness. I love to do many things in my leisure time, which I rarely get now. I really work hard to find some time for myself in my busy schedule. A toddler , 9-6 job and a house to manage leaves no time for myself; these days. Yet, I become nostalgic and think of those great days when I pursued reading as my hobby.

Reading is something that I love and is in my genes as my father is a voracious reader and my mother also loves to read fiction. So, right from my childhood; I loved to spend my time reading story books, newspapers,  magazines and later on English fiction, classics in English as well as some books in Marathi. My habit of reading really picked up during my college days. I use to get a lot of free time and I was exposed to various genres of literature as I was an Arts student specializing in English literature. It was great fun to read English drama, poetry, non- fiction along with American English fiction, Indian English novels , Commonwealth literature and so on. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Shakespeare, William Wordsworth, S.T. Coleridge, O.Henry, D.H. Lawrence, Bernard Shaw, Albert Camus, Kafka, Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka,  Ayn Rand, Paula Coelho, Amitav Ghosh and the list goes on. 

An ideal holiday for me would be lying on a couch reading an interesting  book with a cup of coffee. I can spend lot of days doing that without venturing in the outside world. I'm waiting for such a day, when I can really enjoy this treat without guilt. These days, my reading is limited to websites  that I go through for getting current news, help me to train my students and so on. It is for practical purpose and not for  the fun of reading it. I go through newspapers if time permits after household chores and mundane activities. Still, I make it  a point at least to read Sunday's Times of India. 

No comments:

Post a Comment